Pet Travel Scheme


“To make sure your pet is able to travel from Great Britain to the EU from 1 January 2021, you should contact your vet at least 4 months before travelling to get the latest advice.“

The Pet Travel Scheme allows pet dogs, cats and ferrets from certain countries and territories to enter the UK without quarantine as long as they meet specific conditions. It only operates on some sea, air and rail routes to England.

You should consider the welfare of your pet and whether it will benefit from being taken abroad with you.

You should be aware that your pet may be exposed to parasites and diseases which do not normally occur in the UK.  Your veterinary surgeon will be able to advise you on the precautions you need to take as well as preventative treatments where appropriate. If you would like further information on some of the common diseases that your pet may be exposed to, then click on the names below:

Icon Babesiosis (46.8 KB)

Icon Leishmaniasis (128.4 KB)

Icon Heartworm (143.3 KB)

Icon Ehrlichiosis (40.2 KB)

We strongly recommend that you ascertain the certification requirements of the country you plan to visit or travel through at least a month in advance. Most non-EU countries will require an Export Health Certificate in addition to the EU passport. Also note that your pet cannot enter another EU country until 21 days has passed following the date of your pet’s rabies vaccination.

Further information can be obtained from the following sources:

PETS Helpline - Tel: 03000 200 301 – (8am – 6pm Monday to Friday)

PETS e-mail: (enclose your postal address and daytime telephone number)

DEFRA website:

DEFRA central operations for animal exports: Tel: 03000 200 301 – or email:

Procedure (in this order)

  • Microchip - £21
  • Rabies vaccination - £51
  • Issue of an EU Pet Passport by an OV (Panel 2 Official Veterinarian appointed by Defra) - £45
  • You have to wait 21 days after vaccination before your pet may travel to another EU country. Your dog must be treated for tapeworm using and approved product not less than 24 hrs and not more than 120 hours (1-5 days) before its scheduled arrival time in the UK.
  • Arrange for your pet to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route

Qualifying Countries

Pets resident in the UK can travel to one or more of the countries below and return to the UK under PETS.  Pets that come from one of these countries and have been resident in any of them for at least six months can also enter the UK under PETS as long as they are accompanied by the appropriate official certification.

EU Countries and Territories

Austria Estonia Hungary Netherlands
Azores Faroe Islands Ireland[1] Poland
Balearic Islands Finland Italy Portugal
Belgium France Latvia Réunion
Bulgaria French Guiana Lithuania Romania
Canary Islands Germany Luxembourg Slovakia
Ceuta Gibraltar Madeira Slovenia
Cyprus[2] Greece Malta Spain
Czech Republic Greenland Martinique Sweden
Denmark Guadeloupe[3] Melilla United Kingdom

1.From 1st Jan 2012 the requirement is that all pets travelling between the UK and the Republic of Ireland should be microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and accompanied by a pet passport.
2.Pets may only enter the UK without a blood test from the Republic of Cyprus. All animals travelling from Northern (Turkish) Cyprus must be blood tested at least 30 days after vaccination against rabies and wait three months before travelling to the UK.
3.Includes St Barthelemy and St Martin (French part of the island).

Non-EU Listed Countries

Andorra Chile Malaysia St Kitts & Nevis
Antigua & Barbuda Croatia Mauritius St Lucia
Argentina Curacao Mayotte St Pierre & Miquelon
Aruba Falkland Islands Trinidad and Tobago St Vincent & The Grenadines
Ascension Island Fiji Mexico Singapore
Australia[1] French Polynesia Monaco Switzerland
Bahrain Guam Montserrat Taiwan
Barbados Hawaii New Caledonia United Arab Emirates
Belarus Hong Kong New Zealand USA (mainland)
BES Islands [2] Iceland Norway Vanuata


Jamaica [3] Russian Federation Vatican
Bosnia-Herzegovina Japan San Marino Wallis & Futuna
Cayman Islands Liechtenstein Saint Maarten British Virgin Islands
Canada St Helena    

1.Cats from Australia are prohibited from entering the UK unless they are accompanied by a certificate from the Australian Veterinary Authorities confirming that they do not come from an area where Hendra virus has been confirmed during the 60 days prior to export.
2.The BES Islands are Bonair, Saint Eustatius and Saba
3.Jamaican law currently prevents their involvement in PETS.  PETS-prepared animals may not enter Jamaica at present.

Pets Travelling Within the British Isles

Pets resident in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Jersey can travel freely between these countries without the need for any documentation.  However, we encourage you to take your EU pet passport along in case you are asked to show it.

Permitted Routes and Carriers

Your pet may enter the UK by air, rail or sea.  Please refer to the helpline or website for a full list of permitted routes and carriers.

Passport Duration of Validity

The EU pet passport is valid from the date of issue and may be used to enter another EU country 21 days after the rabies vaccination.  The passport remains valid until rabies re-vaccination is required according to the manufacturer’s instructions (the ‘valid until’ date in section IV of the passport).  It is the owner’s responsibility to ensure that their pet is presented to the surgery for its booster rabies vaccination before the ‘valid until’ date on the passport.  Do not rely on booster reminders from the surgery.

Passport Expiring During a Stay Abroad

If your pet’s passport will expire during a stay abroad, it should be possible to have it renewed in participating countries by presenting the animal for re-vaccination prior to expiry of previous vaccination.

Certificate of Treatment for Tapeworms

The tapeworm treatment required for dogs (using authorised products) is required between 24 and 120 hours (1-5 days) before the scheduled arrival time in the UK. For Day Trippers, the required treatment will be administered by your vet locally. In these circumstances, it is recommended that a further treatment should be administered 28 days after return. No treatment is required for dogs entering the UK from Finland, Ireland and Malta.

For pets staying abroad for longer, the treatment must be administered by a foreign vet and the required details recorded in your pet’s passport (sections VII). You must not administer the treatment yourself. The vet will charge for this service. The DEFRA website has a link to the French Yellow Pages which may help you to locate a veterinary surgeon in France. The tapeworm treatment must be administered each time that your pet travels.

Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained herein is accurate.  However, Priory Lodge Veterinary Group cannot accept any responsibility for the information provided.  Legislation may change considerably in the future, please contact DEFRA to confirm this information before travelling.
Last updated Jan 2020